There’s a big myth in the online coaching world that needs to be addressed: To have a 6-figure business, you need to have a large group / mailing list / following.
The perception is that when a coach has thousand of followers and a massive email list, they’re obviously successful, right
Not so fast.
What you may not realize is that those numbers are vanity metrics, meaning that they look good, but don’t necessarily have any value behind them. Many of these coaches will tell you that while they may have thousands of people on their mailing list, only a small percentage of people are actually BUYING.
The fact is, they need the huge numbers of followers in order to serve that small number of real clients. It’s an inefficient and unsustainable way of doing business.
Far too many entrepreneurs fall into the same trap: Building their list. Marketing. Connecting. Building their list. Marketing. Connecting… On and on.
You’ll notice I didn’t say anything about “selling.” That’s because many people defer selling their services until their mailing list has reached some arbitrary number, or they gain X number of followers.
It’s a numbers game, a process of hustle and grind. You spend time, effort and money trying to build your list/following BEFORE you offer anything. Even when you gain that magic number of followers, you end up serving the wrong clients while getting little to nothing in return for all your efforts.
There’s a better way, and it involves focusing on quality over quantity. How? It can be broken down into three simple (but powerful) tips:
1. Niche your niche.
This is where you can stand out from the crowd. Hyperfocus the work that you do and the solutions you provide. This allows you to stand out from the crowd, mainly because “the crowd” is much smaller. You can position yourself as a leader and an expert in your very specific field. Clients feel more understood because your solutions are NOT for everyone.
2. Harness the Power of Three
If you only present the client with a single offer, there is a 70% chance they will say, ‘No.” Giving them three separate offers at different price points creates choice for the client and changes the conversation from “IF we’ll together,” to “HOW we’ll work together.”
3. Lead the conversation.
Many entrepreneurs fail to take the lead when talking with clients, with results in meandering conversations that feel awkward and go nowhere. You’re left wondering when to ask for the sale, and when you do, it seems to come ut of nowhere. The client should always do most of the talking, while you guide them with leading questions. Follow the 30/70 rule: 30% of the time you should be talking, 70% of the time the client should be speaking.
These tips appear simple, but they are key elements in building a consistent 6-figure business, without the need for vanity metrics or large, unengaged followings.
Interested in learning more? Here are 4 different ways I can help:
1. Grab a free copy of my ebook, “Set Your Sales on Fire: Seven Steps to Yes!” Discover the roadmap that’s generated millions in sales over the last seven years, used by both myself and my clients to create powerful, highly converting sales calls!
2. Join the Sales On Fire Community and connect with coaches who are scaling too. Be a part of my Facebook community, where smart coaches learn to attract more clients and increase their impact and profits!
3. Apply for a free 30 minute “Clients and Cash Strategy Session.” Join me as we map out a quick three-step action plan to get your business moving in the right direction. You’ll leave the call with clarity, confidence and the tools you need to take your business to the next level. Reach out to me here firstname.lastname@example.org with “Strategy” in the subject line and I’ll send you details.
4. Work with me directly. If you’d like to work with me to help you get from “Where is my next client coming from?” to predictable high paying clients, simply reach out email@example.com with “Private” in the subject line. Tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you all the details!